When we are ready to start a family, waiting is the last thing we want to do. While it is very easy for some people to get pregnant really fast, it is not the same story for others. Also, some people may decide to want to get pregnant at a particular time for various personal reasons.
Here are some tips to help your body produce a healthy fetus fast.
1. Pre-contraception check-up: when you decide you are ready to get pregnant, visit a doctor for a check up to help you determine if you are physically healthy to get pregnant and have a child. A check-up also helps to realize any underline problems and treat them quick to prevent having an unhealthy baby. While you are there, ask your doctor for vitamin supplements that are healthy to prepare you to carry a child, especially supplements rich in folic acid. Folic acid helps protect against fetal health defects or congenital anomalies.
2. Do not stress: being told to calm down, take time and relax is probably the last thing you want to hear when trying to have a baby, but best believe that stress is not healthy for your body when you are trying to conceive a child. You need to relax and avoid stress to the best of your ability. Try stress relieving habits such as yoga or acupuncture, have a glass of mine (but definitely not too much), treat yourself to soothing baths, anything to make you feel calm and relaxed.
3. Lay off the booze and cigarettes: excessive alcohol and smoking are generally not good for the health and trying to get pregnant is no exception. Smoking introduces a lot of toxins into the body and not only does it make it harder to get pregnant, if you do by chance get pregnant, these drugs are common teratogens and are unhealthy for your unborn child and the child may develop some defects.
4. Get acquainted with your menstrual cycle: knowing your cycle helps you prepare for the best time to conceive a child. The best time is during ovulation when ovaries are in the best position to be fertilized. You can recognize your ovulation time by paying attention to your body. A sign of ovulation is when the cervical mucus is thin and slippery. You may use ovulation prediction kits and apps to help you keep track of your cycle.
5. Sexual positions: there is a belief that sexual positions play a huge role in getting pregnant or avoiding pregnancy. This belief is mostly a myth simply because a woman’s cervix doesn’t change positions in the body according to sexual positions. ‘Missionary style’ is said to be the most effective and while this isn’t true in all cases, it does help women with tilted cervix. However, some positions reduce the chance of conceiving and should be avoided. These are positions that are subjected to gravity such as standing as the sperm will find it difficult to swim upwards toward the egg due to the force of gravity pulling it down. You could also put a cushion under your hip to tilt your pelvis upward and help the sperm travel.
6. Lay down after intercourse: it is best to keep laying down for about 10 – 15 minutes to give the sperm chance to travel faster without any interruptions. Some people say you should raise your leg up as you lay down but that doesn’t affect your cervix position in anyway….. But remember, all help is welcomed so you can try it if you want. Try to avoid urinating immediately after sex as well.
7. Keep the sperm healthy: it will be difficult getting pregnant if the sperm count is low. If sperm is subjected to a higher temperature, it could kill sperm cells. The man should therefore avoid tight fitting pants and boxers and should avoid staying in hot baths for too long as these could kill the sperm. Also, avoid putting your phone in pockets close to your testicles as this may kill the sperm cells as well. Avoid soy-rich food.
8. Adopt a healthy lifestyle: eat healthy food products and exercise regularly however, avoid strenuous exercises as this may make it difficult to conceive. Female body builders are less likely to conceive children due to hormonal imbalances.
9. Reduce or stop the use of vaginal lubricants: vaginal lubricants make it difficult for the sperm to swim towards the ovaries. However, women suffering from vaginal dryness that need this should try getting fertility friendly lubricants.
10. Dispose dead sperm cells: if you and your spouse are trying to target a particular time to get pregnant, it’s advised that the man should ejaculate once a day before the main day so that dead sperm cells won’t accumulate in the semen.